Friday, August 24, 2012

Nostalgia Takes Hold

Earlier this afternoon I was wrapping up some errands, when I decided to go on a bit of a cruise around Malden (as I rarely have a vehicle available during the daytime). As I made my way down Salem street, I found myself coming up on my old middle school, Mystic Valley. When I passed I noticed the students outside enjoying their recess. Sounds of laughter and cheer filled the air, and I was suddenly overcome with envy.

I'm sure these kids are told all the time by their elders to enjoy themselves as much as possible because these are some of the best days of their lives. I'm also sure they brush it off every time they hear it... I know I used to. You see, when you're a kid you feel powerless and unappreciated, and all you want is to be an adult. Then you become an adult, and while it has plenty of perks, nostalgia becomes a constant in your life.

As I reflected, I suddenly found myself transported into the halls of that old building. It's not until years later that you realize the significance of that age. The relationships you cultivate, decisions you make, these things all help lay the foundation of the person you're going to become... I kept thinking, if I had only known then what I know now imagine what different directions my life may have taken.

When you're a kid, everything is overly dramatic and seems like the end of the world. Crushes, unrequited love, jealousy, losing friends, gaining enemies. But when you measure that petty stuff up to growing up, having responsibilities, people who depend on you, trying to find a direction for your future, and having a mountain of debt casting a shadow over your life, there's no comparison.

I won't lie, I miss it. Dare I say, I was even jealous


It was at this moment I snapped back to reality and realized I was holding up traffic, while simultaneously staring at a bunch of middle school kids playing in a schoolyard...... I promptly sped off hoping nobody had the sense to write down my license plate number.

No comments:

Post a Comment