Monday, January 13, 2014

The Final Decision

There are people in this world who have short, incoherent dreams on a regular-to-constant basis.
I am not one of these people.
I rarely have dreams, but when I do they are vivid, almost disturbingly so, and incredibly bizarre.

I've always believed that dreams are a way for your subconscious mind to call your attention to things you may not be dealing with, but not much more than that... however after this latest one, my opinion may have changed.

I awoke laying face up in long, cool, bright green grass. It was approximately 65 degrees, and there were big fluffy clouds in the sky; the type you would stare at and see different shapes. I sat up and standing just ahead of me was the Grim Reaper. Classic depiction, black hooded robes, scythe, the whole nine yards. Naturally I was horrified, but almost immediately he removed his hood to reveal he was Hershel Greene from The Walking Dead.
If you don't watch The Walking Dead, it's actor Scott Wilson.
If you're not a movie buff, I don't know what to tell you..... Google him.

"Where am I?" I asked.
"Come with me." he said back.
"Where are we going?"
"There" he replied as he pointed over my head. I turned around to see we were only a few yards away from a massive, slightly rundown, and seemingly abandoned stone mansion. He began to walk towards it and motioned for me to follow.
We soon came to a beautifully landscaped courtyard, and sitting at a long table were four people. Audrey Hepburn, George Carlin, Rooney Mara, and Harland Williams. Hershel sat at the head, and I sat opposite him. There was an awkward silence for what seemed like an eternity when I finally permeated it by asking once again where we were and why I was here. That's when Hershel dropped the bomb: "This is Limbo, you are here to decide whether or not you want to live or die. My assistants are here to help you make your decision.
I was shocked by this and shouted, "LIMBO?! Why? What happened?! Am I dead?!"
"Not yet... not unless you want to be. Those details aren't important, what is important is that you listen to what they have to say, REALLY listen, and then make a decision." he replied.

I was scared, and confused, and unable to speak. The members of this council decided to use this as an opportunity to start.
Rooney and Harland began, arguing for the side of life. Truth be told I didn't need much convincing, but that's when Audrey and George pushed for the side of death. They made some disturbingly valid arguments, and I found myself less and less convinced that I was going to choose to live.
The four eventually turned on each other and started a heated internal debate. I sat there, silently, their voices fading as I was lost in my own thoughts. All of a sudden my mind was made up.
"I choose life."
Nobody heard me over the squabbling.
"I choose life!"
Hershel quieted everyone down and asked me again what I had said
"LIFE! LIFE! I WANT TO LIVE!" I shouted, both angrily and joyously.
"Are you absolutely sure?" He asked me
"I am.... I choose to live." I said back much more firmly.
"Very well" He replied.

Suddenly everything was silent, and pitch black. After a moment a faint sound was heard, which got progressively louder and my surroundings began to get brighter. It kept growing until the sound was almost unbearable and the light was blinding. I abruptly sprung up and realized  I was in my bed, with my alarm blaring in my ear.
Initially I brushed it off as another crazy dream, but deep down there's a piece of me that thinks it might not have been. Maybe that actually WAS Limbo, the celebrities I saw were just representations making death easier to deal with, and had I not chosen life, I simply wouldn't have woken up.

I'll just have to hope I made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment