Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jake vs the 'Reesins'

Today was a pretty low-key day. Not much went on in terms of entertainment, just me lounging around the house, relaxing a bit. It wasn't until around 11, when everyone in my house had decided to go to bed that I suddenly got horribly stir-crazy. In an attempt to cure it, I grabbed my keys and headed out for a short cruise around town.

Shortly after I headed out, I found myself driving past Stop&Shop. I decided to drop in and peruse the aisles for a while to kill a little time, and also see if I could score some snacks to enjoy when I got back home to watch tv and update this blog.

I eventually found myself in the candy aisle, and was thinking about how much I despise Dark Chocolate when I was suddenly cast into shadow. I turned to my left and saw two STRIKINGLY massive girls slowly making their way towards me. My 4+ years in retail have helped me form the ability to know when someone is going to approach me and ask me something, so in order to look too busy to chat I quickly picked up a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and started reading the ingredients. Alas, it didn't work, as I heard one girl tell the other, "Just ask him." and I prepared myself. The conversation I had went exactly like this:

Girl: excuse me, can I ask you a question?
Me: ....suuuuuuure....
Girl: Do you know where I can find Reeeesins?
Me: I'm sorry, what are you looking for?
Girl: Reeeesins! You know, their like grapes, but they're dry and wrinkly.

at this point my brain was telling me there was no way this conversation could be real, but I kept it together and said:

Me: do you mean RAISINS? Yeah, If I'm not mistaken the next aisle over has the Raisins and Craisins and all that stuff.

upon hearing this the girls eyes lit up and she said:

Girl: OOOOH! 'Craisins'?! Are those the ones with the Chocolate on them?!
Me: No? They're Raisins just made from Cranberries as opposed to Grapes.
Girl: Ooh that too bad,..... well it's still cool. Are those new or something?

At this point I physically looked around expecting to see Ashton Kutcher standing behind me telling me I was being 'Punked'. However when I didn't see any hidden cameras coming out of the Snicker's bars, I looked back at her and realized she was in fact being serious, and I needed to respond:

Me: No, They've been around  for a while, but they're not s popular as Raisins, so that might be why you haven't heard of them.
Girl: Yeah, that would make sense...
Me:....
Girl....

The looming silence made all the more apparent the fact that there was absolutely no reason for this girl to still be standing there, breathing heavily, and performing an eclipse over the lights of the supermarket. I then noticed  her equally large friend on the approach, and I knew I had to act fast and distract them long enough for me to make a break for it. Then it came to me:

Me: But, if you're looking for the ones with the chocolate, they're called 'Raisinets', and they're considered candy so they should be somewhere in this aisle.
Girl's Friend: o0o0o0o0o0o0o0oh! Let's get some, Sarah!

When 'Sarah' and her nameless friend were distracted by the thought of diving into a few thousand boxes of Raisinets, I made my escape, and safely returned home, to share this story here via the Blog.... and so there you have it. Not the most thrilling day, but at least I got a decent enough story out of it, haha 

2 comments:

  1. i love this. :) soo funny. i can picture the hefty broads. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well I'm glad you enjoy it.

    and Yes, It was quite a sight lol

    ReplyDelete